We Differentiate Our Services from Our Competitors by Offering Quality Services:
• Results in Consistent Quality
• Avoids Inappropriate or Offensive Comments
• Includes Policies about Personal Belongings & Safety
• More Entertaining
• More Accurate & Professional
• Our Maximum Tour Group Size is 24
• Guests Get to Know Guide & Fellow Guests
• Thorough Screening & Hiring Process
• Strict Uniform & Grooming Policies
• No Tolerance Drug & Alcohol Policy
• Greet Guests when Boarding & Disembarking from outside of the vehicle
• Late Model & Regularly Replaced
• Professionally Maintained & Cleaned Daily
Variety & Flexibility
• We offer more tours than any competitor. Our focus on tours and service has set us apart from companies focusing on just moving people.
Our Tour & Excursions are Very Different from Our Competitors
We began differentiating our tours by improving on the obvious. We bought better buses and gourmet food. Then the hard part, after analyzing the market for Pearl Harbor tours, we created our tours based on the following concepts:
1. We are the only company that has a mandatory script and route to Pear Harbor — Ala Wai to H1 and exit at Pearl Harbor. We selected this route for the following reasons:
• This the fastest route to Pearl Harbor & Less Traffic
• The drive is not as industrial and run down as Nimitz
• Guest’s focus is on Pearl Harbor narration
• The end of the day is a grand finale of lush vegetation, impressive vistas from Diamond head to Waianae.
2. Creating the Script
Our company’s philosophy is to provide consistency, accurate information and an entertaining narration for our visitors. We do so by writing a detailed script, from which our guides are trained. We went to the road taking notes of as much detail that can be seen of historical significance. We then research the legends, history, and any interesting facts or trivia regarding the route.
The script carefully balances entertainment, captivating legends, historical information, and background music for visitors to relax making the trip a memorable experience.
To enhance the experience our tour guides’ narration is scripted and presented in 4 minute intervals:
• 4 Minutes History
• 4 Minutes Hawaiian Legends
• 4 Minutes Hawaiian Music
• 4 Minutes Jokes & Small Talks
• 4 Minutes of the Tour Guide NOT Talking (allowing the guest to enjoy the scenery and digest the info that has been shared.)
3. Tour Details
Village of Haiku
Hiking in Maui
Safe Hiking in Hawaii
Feather Capes use by the kings
Village Keanea Penninsula
Failed – Why
Mac Nut Farm
Fruit Stand Honor system
Macadamia Nut Farm
Ula Ino Road
Temple Pi’ilanihale heiau
Pacific Tropics Botanical Garden
Black Sand Beach
Tropical Almond – Kamani
Battles of Hana
Centralized School System
28 Grads last year
Grow & Sell fruit to fund school
Oprah donation of computer to Hana school
Largest Sacrificial Heiau in Hawaii
Tidal Wave & Pier Destruction
Hamoa Beach: Author James Michener
The Hasekawa store
Cross on Hill
Pat Benetar’s House
View of the Big Island
Rock Walls and Kapu
Nene – Evolution / Adaptation
South Wailua Falls
Seven Sacred Pools
End of Hana Hwy
Paved roads end
Yucca – Century Plant
Kaupo Store (Open randomly)
Mile 33 End of Kaupo
Freshwater from underground brings nutrients to the water that attracts fish and sharks.
Must cross a stream bed
This is the location where vehicles must turn around if the condition are not right.
Begin Climbing to Winery
View Jeep Trails
Hawaiian Homestead Land
Get up to 20,000 acres
Excess of land, lack of water
$1 per acre per year
Cinder Cone Volcanoes
Kanaio Lava flow
La Perouse Bay
Tour Haleakala & Iao Valley
Frank Lloyd Wright House
Marilyn Monroe & Joe DiMaggio
HALEAKALA NATIONAL PARK
4. “Making” the DHT Tour Guide
A tour guide is the most important component of a tour because he/she provides the experience.
• Our guides undergo thorough safety training, defensive drivingcourses, and CPR classes.
• All drivers have CDL — commercial driver’s licenses, which require more training and testing than standard driver’s licenses.
• We drug test randomly.
• Guides understand that “the customer is always right.”
• Guides are trained to be educators and entertainers at the same time.
• Guides are tested on presentation of tour, ensuring the presentation is “natural” and does not seem scripted, yet it is.
Competitors’ Tour Guides
• Are not trained with scripts, allowing the tour guides to say whatever comes to mind; similar to giving a 10 hour speech without notes.
• Are the “encyclopedia guides” that will bore you with all types of facts and historical days.
• The “joker guide” the has an outgoing personality and can tell you a million jokes but cannot answer any questions or share any information.
5. Goodwill & Relationship with the National Park
• We have fostered goodwill with the National Park
• Late model deluxe 22–24 passenger mini-buses.
• We installed “easy ride” suspension for a smoother ride.
• Seats recline making long rides very comfortable.
• Double seats per rows allowing couples to sit together.
• Each passenger has his/her own seat (no bench seats).
• Over 6’ interiors allow safe embarking and disembarking.
• Two front windows to allow more visibility for people in the back rows.
Competitors have Large Buses
• 57- 64 seater buses —Very large, detached groups and overcrowded.
• It takes 16 minutes for passengers embark and disembark.
• No connection between tour guide and guests because of location of tour guide on the bus.
7. Customer Satisfaction
• Tours are monitored at the end by customer surveys.
• Clients are contacted and asked about their experience.
• Complains and problems are documented, used towards company improvements and training.
• Last year we moved 164,000 passengers with less than .5% of complaints.
• When we get a complaint it is documented and resolved instantly by our agent who took the call. This eliminates frustration.
• Our refund policy favors agents who are often sitting with our clients.
• We maintain complaint logs and monitor consistencies.
We are the only medium size, small-group company that operates statewide.
Our competitors operate mostly motor coaches, they have a different product and different level of service and experience than what we offer.
The management of DHT are tour guides, who occasionally get behind the wheel and provide a tour to keep fresh and in-touch with customers. This leads to higher expectations of service, cleanliness, and friendliness for all staff members.
We feel that we are best positioned of all of our competitors to provide the best Road to Hana tour experience.
Hawaii is a volcanic archipelago consisting of six main islands, Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Hawaii Big Island, Lanai and Molokai. Each island of Hawaii is very unique to itself. Come discover the most enchanting of Hawaii’s islands – Maui! Travel to Maui and enjoy beautiful white sand beaches, exuberant rainforests, waterfalls, breathtaking mountains set as the backdrop of the most amazing sunrises and sunsets in the world. In Maui, you’ll find yourself…